Grandma Eva’s Holiday Beans – a recipe my grandma made for every family (holiday) gathering.
My sweet, Finnish grandma. She’d be so embarrassed that I had her on a blog, but I miss her and want to share her recipe with you.
I hope your Thanksgiving (holiday) was filled with health, family, and friends.
– Hamburger (1 lb.)
– Onions (1/2 c.)
– Pork and Beans (3 of the 16 oz. cans)
– Ketchup (1 c.)
– Brown Sugar (1/2 c.)
– Apple Sauce (1 c.)
– Dry mustard (1 t.)
1. Decide if you will put your beans into the oven or the crockpot. If you use the oven preheat to 350 F. If you use the crockpot (which I always do), turn on the setting for how long you need until your main dish is done.
2. Dice your onions and brown your onions. (Optional. I never use because of the kids.)
3. Brown your 1 lb. of hamburger.
4. Put everything else into the crockpot – pork and beans, ketchup, brown sugar, apple sauce and dry mustard.
5. Add the onions and hamburger and mix well.
If you did choose the oven, you need to bake for 1.5 hours at 350 F. The amount in the crockpot depends on what you chose for your setting.
Enjoy Grandma Eva’s holiday beans!
The best part is when everyone participates – here’s Mchalie making her great-grandma’s recipe.
As always, these are a huge. Here’s a few photos of the ingredients and the beans in the crockpot. Again, I typically skip the onions for the kids.
Sometimes, I have to substitute an ingredient – for Christmas one year, we used different beans; for Easter 2020, I forgot apple sauce, so I had 3/4 of a cup of homemade apple sauce.
They always turn out fantastic!
Keep in mind that I may receive commissions when you click my links and make purchases; however, this does not impact my reviews and comparisons. I share links as an Amazon Associate, but these are real purchases. The small commissions received help to pay for this website.