Last night’s meatloaf was delicious and easy!
For some reason, I forget about making it, and I used to make meatloaf once a week. At some point, I’m sure I followed a recipe. Now, I guesstimate and use ingredients I have on hand.
I’ll do my best to share amounts, but they are approximate. (It’s hard to mess up a meatloaf, so if you don’t have exactly the same ingredients or amount, it’ll turn out great.)
– 1 lb. of hamburger (I had 1.2 lbs last night, and I try to but the lean meat that’s a little bit more but the quality is so much better.)
– Bacon – 4 to 8 slices (I had turkey bacon and used between 4 – 8 slices.)
– Ketchup – 1 c.
– BBQ Sauce – 1/2 c. (optional)
– Egg(s) – 1 (Normally, I use 1, but I used 2 last night.)
– Bread or bread crumbs – 1 cup (I ripped up the end pieces of the bread that no one likes to eat. Normally, I would use 1 slice/1 c., but I used 2 last night.)
– Minced Garlic – 1 tsp. (I’ve mentioned in previous blogs that fresh garlic is best, but I had this on hand.)
– Shredded Cheese – 1 c. (optional)
– Onions (optional)
– Spices are optional. I don’t use them very often because of the kids.
1. Preheat your oven to 375 F. (I used the middle rack.)
2. In a mixing bowl, place all of your ingredients (hamburger, ketchup, BBQ sauce, eggs, bread crumbs, minced garlic, cheese, etc.) except the bacon.
3. After mixing your ingredients together, place half of your mixture in your meatloaf pan.
I love the glass pan from Pyrex. I wish I had purchased this one with the lid for storage:
4. Layer midway with 4 slices of bacon (this is optional and it takes a bit longer to cook.) Sometimes, I’ll add cheese, too.
5. Cover the bacon with the other half of the mixture.
6. Add 4 slices of bacon to the top and a strip of ketchup.
7. Bake in the oven for 60 – 75 minutes. (This was on the middle rack, and it took a bit longer than I anticipated. Make sure the meat is fully cooked by cutting into the middle or using a meat thermometer.)
This digital, instant reader has great reviews:
It was delicious! Let me know how yours turns out!
Please keep in mind that I may receive very small commissions when you click on my links and make purchases; however, this does not impact my reviews & comparisons. I share links as an Amazon Affiliate, but these are real purchases. The small commissions received help to pay for this website.