Blakely wanted to make Easter cookies at home, so we tried sugar cookies (and icing) from scratch.
Ingredients for Sugar Cookies:
– Butter (1 c. softened)
– Sugar (1 c.)
– Vanilla Extract (1 t.)
– Eggs (2)
– Flour (3 c.)
– Salt (1 t.)
– Baking powder (3 t.)
– Powdered Sugar (1/2 c.)
– Milk (3 T.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Add your butter (1 c. softened) and sugar (1 c.) together. Mix well.
4. Mix in the eggs (2) and vanilla extract (1 t.) with the butter and sugar mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour (3 c.), baking powder (3 t.), salt (1 t.), and powdered sugar (1/2 c.).
6. Slowly add your dry mixture to the batter and mix well.
7. If the dough is sticky, refrigerate until it easy to shape into a small (1/2” thick) flattened disk.
8. Bake the cookies at 350’F for 8 minutes. The bottom should be slightly golden brown.
This is what the batter will look like:
While your cookies are cooking and cooling, it’s time to make your homemade frosting!
How to Make Homemade Icing:
– Powdered Sugar (3 c.)
– Milk (1 T.)
– Butter (Softened, 1/2 c.)
– Vanilla extract (1 t.)
– Food coloring (optional – we used red to make it pink)
Mix together until this creates a consistency that is thick enough to cover the cookies.
*Note: We had to add a little bit more of each ingredient to get the right consistency for the icing. Then, we placed in the refrigerator for a short time.
I left a few cookies without the icing. I wasn’t sure what the kids would like.
Next time, I would like to make a buttercream frosting.
If you have any cookie tricks, please be sure to share.