At our new home, we have been blessed with an abundance of fantastic rhubarb.
I have tried several recipes, but this strawberry & rhubarb pie is amazing!
(If you’re not a strawberry fan, I made a similar pie without the strawberries. https://royalechristine.com/2020/05/15/rhubarb-pie-with-crumble-topping/)
Ingredients for Pie Filling:
– 2 c. rhubarb
– 1.5 c. of strawberries
– 1.5 c. sugar
– 3 T. flour
– 1 egg
– 1 t. vanilla
– Optional: A small amount of JELLO Strawberry filling
– 1 pie crust (It’s quarantine during the pandemic, and I ended up with the wrong pie crust – only the bottom and a deep dish.)
Ingredients for Crumble Topping:
– 12 T. unsalted butter
– 1/3 c. of brown sugar
– 1/3 c. of white sugar
– 1.5 c. of all-purpose flour
Directions for Pie Filling:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. Wash the rhubarb and cut into pieces roughly 3/4 inch (or smaller) until you have 2 cups total.
3. Wash the strawberries and cut into smaller pieces until you have 1.5 cups. Add to the rhubarb pieces in a mixing bowl.
4. Add the 1.5 c. of sugar and 3 T. of flour to the rhubarb and mix.
5. Whisk the egg and vanilla (1 t.) is a separate bowl.
6. Combine the two mixtures together.
7. I cheated and bought premade pie crust, so all I had left to do was to add the filling and make a topping (since I bought the wrong crust).
This is what the pie filling will look like:
Directions for Crumble Topping:
1. Cut the 12 T. of unsalted butter into smaller pieces (or grate).
2. Add 1/3 c. of brown sugar and 1/3 c. of white sugar into the butter.
3. Add 1.5 c. of flour and mix until you create a crumbly mixture. You may use a pastry cutter, or you may mix by hand.
Here’s a pastry cutter with great reviews:
4. Spread evenly across the top of the two pies. (I didn’t have quite enough, so I made too much and used the leftover for rhubarb muffins. Rhubarb muffins here: https://royalechristine.com/2020/05/16/rhubarb-muffins-with-crumble-topping/)
This is what the crumble topping will look like:
1. At 425 F, bake for 15 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat to 350 F, bake for 40 – 45 minutes.
If you are able, let the pie sit for an hour before serving. That didn’t happen in our house!
Also, the edges of the pies were a little dry on a previous pie, so I wrapped the edges in tinfoil.
At some point, I will buy these cool crust shields!
You can find crust shields here:
Enjoy your strawberry & rhubarb pie!
You can check out more rhubarb recipes here:
Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Jam (no pectin) – https://royalechristine.com/2020/05/29/easy-strawberry-rhubarb-jam-no-pectin/
Rhubarb & Strawberry Jello Dessert – https://royalechristine.com/2020/05/23/rhubarb-strawberry-jello-dessert/
Rhubarb Muffins with Crumble Topping – https://royalechristine.com/2020/05/16/rhubarb-muffins-with-crumble-topping/
Rhubarb Pie with Crumble Topping – https://royalechristine.com/2020/05/15/rhubarb-pie-with-crumble-topping/
Rhubarb Cake – https://royalechristine.com/2019/07/19/rhubarb-cake/
Please keep in mind that I may receive very small commissions when you click on my links and make purchases within 24 hours; however, this does not impact my reviews & comparisons. I share links as an Amazon Affiliate, but these are real purchases. The small commissions received help to pay for this website.